Here is a unique Well’B Coconut Flesh recipe: Buko Pie, a Filipino Coconut Pie ! Sweet, Creamy and Bouncy, it’s a dream comfort food!
PIE FILLING (ingredients A)
500g young coconut flesh
1/3 cup cornstarch
½ cup coconut water
½ cup coconut cream (Thick Santan)
½ cup sugar
½ tsp of salt
EGG WASH (ingredients B)
1 small egg
1 tbsp milk
1. Dissolve the cornstarch in coconut water and set aside.
2. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the cream and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook until sugar is completely dissolved.
3. Add the coconut flesh.
4. Slowly add the coconut water with cornstarch, stirring regularly.
Cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens to almost paste-like consistency.
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
ASSEMBLY AND BAKING
6. Line a 9 inches pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge.
Use a fork to poke holes on the bottom crust.
7. Pour the cooled filling on the chilled pie crust. Make sure that the coconut flesh is evenly distributed.
8. Unroll the second crust dough to cover the top of the pie. Cut the excess from the edges, and pinch the sides to seal together with the crust.
9. Use a fork to poke holes on top crust to serve as vents for the steam while baking.
10. Bake at 220 C for 10 minutes.
11. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.
12. Remove the pie from oven and brush the top with the egg wash.
13. Lower the temperature to 170 C and bake for another 30 – 40 minutes.
14. Remove pie from oven and let cool down for the filling to set. Serve slightly warm.